Monday, April 17, 2006

the fight to see the transcendent

sometimes keeping your eyes on Christ is hard. sometimes life gets bizarre and you see everything but Christ all around you. it's hard to focus then. it kills me that i can have a couple hours that totally disorient and distract me from Christ, but when i get my bearings i can see the enemy's hand all over it. and that reminds me that i bear the mark of Christ--i am His and because of that i'm dangerous. the fog clears and my feet are on solid ground again.
__________________
i finished up donald miller's book "through painted deserts" tonight. the entire book is about simplicity and how that can help you see God more clearly--especially through nature. it's been a great respite in my generally crazy life. this is a passage that spoke to me:

"I start realizing that this is the first time I've encountered beauty in nature. I've read poems that have made my heart race. I've read scenes in novels that have caused me to close the book, set my head in my hands, and wonder how a human could so brilliantly orchestrate words. But nature has never inspired me until now. God is an artist, I think to myself. I have known this for a long time, seeing His brushwork in the rivers. But the night sky is His greatest work. And I would have never known this if I had stayed in Houston. I would have bought a little condo and filled it with Ikea trinkets and dated some girl just because she was hot and would have read self-help books, end to end, one after another, trying to fix the gaping holes in the bottom of my soul, the hole that, right now, seems plugged with Orion, allowing my soul to collect that feeling of belonging and love you only get when you stop long enough to engage the obvious."

No comments: